Business processes are controlled by operational decisions that are based on expert knowledge. An efficient Decision Management System is crucial to computerise this group of business processes properly.
What is a Decisions Management System?
The goal is to end the process flow in an optimal and reproducible result (e.g. solving a problem, starting a repair action, handling a complaint, deciding the correct product, …).
Changes in the Rules should not require new software development.
- large volume of decisions
- many decision paths with high complexity (extended decision tree)
- the data involved is stored on various systems
- high degree of repetitiveness
- precision and consistency is required
- frequent changes in decision logic
- direct effect on interaction with customers, suppliers, employees …
It is evident that not all decision-making processes can be fully automated by a Decision Management System. Human interaction is often needed, and still regularly desirable. But even those processes are best automated as much as possible to allow guiding a user interactively through the correct question and answer screens and find an effective solution to his problem.